Proposed Charter Changes
November 2020 Special City Meeting
In 2019, Winooski City Council established a Charter Commission charged with “examining options to present Winooski voters with a charter change that would enable non-citizen residents to vote in Winooski municipal elections, protect Winooski voter information, align the School and City’s charters, and consider additional governance changes identified by the Council, staff, and public. As part of this process, the Commission is charged with conducting public outreach to the community through public information sessions, forums, and direct outreach.”
On July 27, 2020, the Charter Commission approved a series of Charter change recommendations to present to the City Council. On August 3rd and August 18, 2020, the City Council considered these recommendations. On August 18th, the City Council voted to present the following charter change recommendations to the public for consideration at a special city meeting to be held in conjunction with the November 2020 General Election. The City is considering charter amendments that would:
- Allow all legal residents of the City (including those who are not U.S. citizens) to vote in City and school elections and meetings, provide certain protections to the voter checklists maintained by the City Clerk, and to make other conforming amendments.
- Permit voters to adopt Charter amendments that have been approved by the Vermont Legislature for other municipalities.
- Conform the Charter to state law requirements for signing petitions.
- Remove language referring to volunteer firefighters.
- Permit the City Manager to give to the staff person performing human resource functions the title of “Human Resource Director”.
- Amend the provision relating to the tax assessment of commercial properties to conform to current practice.
- Modify the Oath of Office language to eliminate religious references.
On November 3rd, Winooski Voters approved all 3 Charter Change Ballot questions. Click here to view the unofficial results.
Winooski City Council held two Special Meeting Public Hearings on these proposed Charter changes:
Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 6 PM
Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 6 PM
Have questions or want to provide feedback to the Commission? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- View the proposed charter amendments
- View our informational mailer
- View the proposed language as it will appear on the November ballot
- View the Charter Commission homepage
- View the Charter Commission agendas and minutes
- Watch the Charter Commission Q & A (7.1.20)
- Watch Public Hearing #1 (9.29.20)
- Watch Public Hearing #2 (10.13.20)